Faculty Positions Introduction
Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS) Guwahati is a premier research and teaching institution dealing with a range of emerging issues affecting the society. It aims at developing into a world-class social science institution to create human resources and knowledge base contributing to the study of social sciences.
The aims to impart higher education in disciplinary and inter-disciplinary areas of Social Sciences, develop human service professionals, engage in basic and applied social science research, collaboration with and capacity-building of universities and institutions, knowledge sharing through networking and offering expertise in a range of areas of importance to the North-East Region.
The institute faculty makes notable contributions to academic research and policy making. TISS offers an excellent academic environment for scholars to teach, research, publish and link with state and non-state institutions, and facilitate individual professional growth. The Guwahati Campus offers the following programmes:
- Integrated B.A–M.A programme in Social Sciences
- M.A. in Environment, Ecology and Sustainable Development
- M.A. in Labour Studies and Social Security
- M.A. in Social Work programmes in: (specializations)
- Community Organisation and Development Practice
- Livelihoods and Entrepreneurship
- Public Health
- Integrated M.Phil and Ph .D. and Direct Ph.D.
Recruitment of Faculty for TISS Guwahati
With firm intentions to develop a world-class social science institution to create human resources and knowledge base contributing to the study of social sciences, the institute wishes to recruit Assistant Professors and Associate Professors with specialization in: Anthropology, Economics, History, Political Sciences, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology and Public Health. TISS Guwahati is looking for individuals with a strong base in disciplinary fields and with demonstrated ability in inter and trans-disciplinary fields of research.
The current recruitment for the following positions. The eligibility is as follows:
With a consolidated salary of Rs.55,000 a month.
- Good academic record with at least 55% of the marks or an equivalent grade of ‘B’ in the 7 point scale with letter grades O, A, B, C, D, E and F at the Master’s Degree level, in the relevant subject from an Indian University, or an equivalent degree from an accredited foreign university.
- A relaxation of 5% will be provided from 55% to 50% of the marks at the Master’s level for the SC/ST category candidates, and to the Ph.D. Degree holders who have passed their Master’s Degree prior to 19th September 1991.
- Besides fulfilling the above qualifications, the candidate must have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC, CSIR or similar test accredited by the UGC like SLET/SET.
- Candidates, who are, or have been awarded a Ph.D. Degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of Ph.D. Degree) Regulations, 2009, shall be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities/ Colleges/Institutions.
- Ph.D. with at least two years of post-doctoral teaching and or research experience and publications.
Post Doctoral Fellows
A consolidated Fellowship of Rs. 40,000 p.m; medical cover for the individual and an annual contingency of Rs. 20,000 will be provided.
Fresh candidates who have acquired Ph. D. in social sciences and inter-disciplinary fields will be recruited through a process of selection based on a research proposal that they write and upload at the time of application.
Online applications will be accepted till 15th May, 2013.
Intimations to short listed candidates will take place by 22nd May, 2013.
Interviews will be conducted during the first week of June, 2013 in TISS Guwahati.
All positions are initially offered for a period of 2 years with an option of gaining permanent status through a due appointment process, based on performance during or at the end of the contract period and the availability of UGC positions in the current and forthcoming Plan periods. Performance is reviewed each year and contract is extended each year. TISS follows 6th Pay scales, provides health cover for the individual.
Candidates are encouraged to fill an online application and upload their publications. Individuals who are currently in employment may please indicate their current status and preparedness to join within a notice of two to three months.
Shortlisted candidates for all positions will be invited to make a presentation, interact with a Panel of faculty members and take a formal interview by middle of April 2013. The date and venue of the interviews will be intimated. Individuals selected will be expected to join by June 2013 in order to begin contribution to academic programs by July 2013.
Seven Assistant Professor Positions will be filled subject to satisfactory performance of candidates.